Skip to content ↓
How will school staff support my child? 

King's Academy Ringmer is an inclusive school with a strong commitment to meeting the needs of all our students. The Support for Learning Team work together with all staff to ensure that lessons include a range of tasks and ways of working, and extra curricula activities are accessible to all students. We also provide a range of additional support for students who have been identified as having a specific need.  This might include:

  • Small progress groups of students
  • Maths and literacy small intervention groups to support students reaching target level
  • Support with homework through homework club
  • Mentor groups of only 24 students

The SENCO oversees the progress and attainment of all vulnerable groups of students, by advising on provision and learning styles, liaising with Faculty leaders. Pastoral care is delivered through our House System where all students benefit from a named House Leader and a mentor who has a group of 22-24 students whom they see on a daily basis. Specialist TAs are employed in English and Mathematics.

How does the school know if children need extra help and what should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs? 

King's Academy Ringmer staff meet with primary school teachers before your child joins the school to discuss the needs of each child.  Your child’s progress is then monitored throughout their time in school and support plans are put in place if children do not make expected progress.

Teachers, TAs and House staff will share any concerns regarding SEN with the SENCO, who will carry out further assessments (formal and informal) and liaise with other professionals where appropriate.

How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs? 

All teachers are responsible for using a range of strategies and resources to make sure that students progress and achieve within their classrooms e.g. resources using symbols, ICT software to support writing or writing frames.

The SENCO and staff from outside the school advise and support teachers to devise a range of tasks and methods of working to support all Students. We work closely with the Educational Psychology Service, Language and Learning Support Services and Therapy Services where necessary.

Students with Significant Communication and Learning Difficulties 

The College has been successfully delivering high quality education to students with significant Communication and Learning Difficulties at King's Academy Ringmer since 2008. 

The successful partnership between the East Sussex County Council Children’s Services Department (CSD) team, the college and the parents of the students it serves has underpinned this success.

The facility is a key part of the local authority’s strategy for developing a network of special facilities to cater for students with high levels of complex needs.

Students enter the provision in Year 7 with two places available each year; students are then able to access this provision up until year 11. These places are carefully allocated by the CSD team with a significant period of transition to ensure that the provision is suitable for each individual student. Prior to a definite offer of a place on the project students will spend time in the college supported by our Learning Support Team to ensure that they have the independence needed to be able to benefit fully from the provision.

What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the academy? 

King's Academy Ringmer has access to the full range of Local Authority specialist services in education, health and social care [see the LA local offer].

King's Academy Ringmer has specialist teachers/TAs in literacy and speech, English/Literacy and Numeracy.  Staff take part in an ongoing training programme which includes sessions on Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD), Speech, Language and Communication Needs (SLCN) and dyslexia. Many have attended courses or gained higher qualifications in different aspects of Special Educational Needs (SEN).

How accessible is the academy environment? 

King's Academy Ringmer has a school building which is fully wheelchair accessible. It has disabled changing and toilet facilities and lifts. When your child first joins the school we will ask you to let us know of any access issues you or family members have.

How will I know how my child is doing? 

At King's Academy Ringmer we track your child’s progress on an ongoing basis and take action when students are not making the expected progress.

You will receive regular reports and be invited to attend meetings to discuss your child’s progress. Support for Learning staff are available to meet you at each of these meetings. Students with a statement of SEN and/or EHC will also have an Annual Review meeting to discuss arrangements and progress.

Additional meetings are available by request and for students with a high level of need, regular contact can be arranged.

What support will there be for my child’s overall wellbeing? 

At King's Academy Ringmer we are committed to helping all children stay safe and healthy and enjoy their time at school, and to help them to grow into mature and caring young people who make a positive contribution to the school and the wider community.

All students at King's Academy Ringmer have a mentor who they meet with 5 days a week. The school nurse and Targeted Youth Support Service come into school on a regular basis. They also refer to other agencies for student and family support.  The Support for Learning Team have responsibility for Child Protection and Looked After Children.

Young people are encouraged to contribute their views on school life. All students can give their views to School Council via their mentor representatives.

How will I be involved in discussions about, and planning for, my child’s education? 

Staff will meet with you at academic and pastoral meetings to discuss your child’s progress. All parents and carers of children with identified needs will have the opportunity to discuss progress and plans with staff from The Support for Learning Team. Positive parental involvement in school life is always welcome and feedback sought formally through questionnaires at every parents' evening.

How will you help me to support my child’s learning? 

Research shows that parental involvement has a significant impact on the progress that students make in school. 

We encourage regular communication with parents and carers. Students are given regular homework which is recorded in their planners/journals.

How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom, including school trips? 

All students at King's Academy Ringmer have access to all activities offered by the school and, where necessary, additional adult support will be available to assist your child at after school activities and on school trips.

How will the school/college prepare and support my child to join the school, transfer to a new school/college or the next stage of education and life? 

The staff at King's Academy Ringmer work closely with primary schools to support all children when transferring to our school.  In addition we run a transition programme in term 6 for all students.  Parents and carers of Year 6 students are invited to meet with their child’s mentor for an induction meeting and attend an induction evening. Staff from The Support for Learning Team will, where possible, attend the Year 6 Annual Reviews of children with a statement of Special Educational Needs.

A Personal Intensive Adviser will advise on suitable post year 11 courses for your child.

If your child has a high level of need they will have a plan which will outline their needs and effective support. This will be sent to the school or college that your child will attend.

How are the academy's resources allocated and matched to children’s special educational needs? 

Students will be allocated resources based on their individual need. If, in exceptional circumstances, the school considers that a Student needs extra resources it can apply to the local authority for more funding.

How will the academy decide how much money is spent on my child? 

The school’s budget is used to provide the wide range of support outlined above. Your child will have access to this support according to their needs. Support for students with the highest level of need will be outlined in Education Health and Care plans, and for those with lower levels of need information from parents/carers, other professionals and school staff will be used to plan support.

Who can I contact for further information? 

Your child’s mentor is the first person to talk to. If you have a specific question or concern relating to SEN, you can contact Mrs Ann-Marie Waite, SENCO, on 01273 812220 ext 246 or email